Friday, July 2, 2021

POST 6 - How Can Your Major Make the World a Better Place

 Hello class!

This week we are writing about our world...a very engaging topic indeed. You can write about your past experiences and share something interesting. 

·         How can your major affect the world?

·         How can you see yourself in this process?

·         What makes your major something that contributes to the world’s benefit?

Upload pictures

Requirements for the entry:

For the present task, you need to write 150 to 155 words. Pay attention to misspellings, grammar errors and vocabulary. Do not forget to post three (3) comments on your classmate’s posts and one (1) on mine as well (25 words as a minimum!) Try to use the structures we have learned in previous lessons and all the English you know. DO NOT USE GOOGLE TRANSLATOR TO DO YOUR ENTRY. Give it a crack and good luck on your task! :)

 

 A CHILD'S LIFE IN THIS WORLD. 

 Información sobre Tropa 97 y sobre Scouting

As a child and a scout boy I wanted to play my part in helping my community. This is how I decided to be part of the Ecological Party that our local municipality started back in early 1990's.

It all began by recruiting boys and girls from schools and social group and  societies or the like. I was invited by a classmate and scout friend Pablo. We took part in several initiatives to improve some green areas as well as giving hand with the cleaning of promenade and sea side in playa Los Molinos.

 

 Playa Los Molinos, Valdivia - ChilePlayas

For about 6 months we went every Saturday morning to pick the rubbish gathered by the sea side, let the seaweed cleaned and recuperate some areas among the rocky side.

We also helped at our local river location by taking action in cleaning the rubbish led by visitors. We had a well organized party and had cleaned a big portion under our custody. 

Ciudad de Valdivia de noche | Valdivia, Chile. At night. | Flickr

Sometimes, we took part along with the local Lutheran chapel and went out in the night to provide a warm beverage plus a nice slide of cake to vagabonds.  We made many friends among them and some even had a name for us 'the scout coffee party'. How I treasure those good old days! Lastly, this is why I decided to become a language teacher, I wanted to help people.

 

27 comments:

  1. Hi Professor! I love your photos. What a beautiful way of spend time with some friends while cleanning and helping others! For how many years you were a scoutboy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a boyscout for 12 years and 8 as a troop leader. I also served as a 'lider comunal' helping other groups/troops to be stablish around the city.

      Delete
  2. Wow, I never thought that you were a scoutboy! That´s awesome! In my chidhood I had two friends that belonged to a scout group. They told me that once time they went to Machupichu.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What nice pictures ! I always wanted to be a scout, but I could never find a group near my home and I never had friends who were scouts either. However, I hope your experience contributed to be the person you are today !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a beautifull experience!! helping others and our environment besides the positive impact it brings to the world, it´s always a great way to get to know ourselves and grow as a person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I realized that many of the activities you did with your scout friends helped to take care of the environment. Currently do you have any habits to take care of the environment?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't like boy scouts very much. They think they are the saviors of nature. To save mother earth we have to change the means of production.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow !! That must have been a wonderful experience, I hope you had a great time, also the photos are very beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful way to help others teacher! It would be very good if we all help the environment especially due to climate change. Also, the photo of the valdivia market is so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did not know that you lived your childhood in Valdivia! And how great that you were able to take care of and help that beautiful place stay in good condition ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, being scout is really hard, i could never wake up early every Saturday, i admire you for that. Is nice to see that since you were a kid made already an impact to this world.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow! I am also a scout !! What beautiful actions they did, it is very nice to have a group of people who accompany you to do this type of action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Una vez scout, siempre scout' That's is and was my mojo. I miss camping out a lot. I feel as if my backpack is always ready to depart!

      Delete
  12. what a nice memories! I have one doubt, how did the experience of being a scout make me want to become an language teacher? regards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simple. Giving a hand and doing something for others set a seed to search a profession where I could replicate those actions. Now I am guiding people (students), same as I did with the people within my community when we taught them where the rubbish should go...

      Delete
  13. Good afternoon professor! I am a scout too! It is a lovely experience, we challenge the way of learning about life and earth, for how many years you were scout? But as we say, once a scout, always a scout, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Una vez scout, siempre scout' Yes, that's the very truth. I was a boyscout for 12 years. I made it all the way until I was part of the 'Ruta troop' Nice good old days!

      Delete
  14. What a great teacher! My parents studied in Valdivia and I have a special affection for the area, since I was a child we used to go to Los Molinos to vacation. And let me tell you that nowadays it is a very clean beach, it must be thanks to people like you and your scout group. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! Yes, today is quite a fine place to go. There were many people involved on those days. Let us thank them all!
      Enjoy the beach when you are thereabouts!

      Delete
  15. What a great pictures and experiences in scout. I was never a scout.What impact does being a scout have on your day to day life?

    ReplyDelete
  16. The work you did as a scout is admirable. Cleaning common places, helping people without resources, are tasks that are appreciated and respected. I congratulate you for all your motivation and participation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My family raised me that way. My Dad was a scout and Mom was part of the local chapel activities. There was always something to care about at home!

      Delete
  17. professor, you always post nice pictures in your posts, is photography one of your hobbies?
    I have heard that being a scout is a very good experience, I would have liked to be a scout too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, so cool! Thank your for sharing your scout experience! I was scout too, and there I learned a lot about myself and others

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow you did a big contribution to the environment as a scout! I think is a very noble

    ReplyDelete
  20. I always wanted to join the scouts, such a shame here in victoria they don't exist. And if the do exist, then they are awful at spreading info :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you might start out a group along with some others...We started out our group from scratch! We reached a 55 members pick at a time!

      Delete

POST 6 - How Can Your Major Make the World a Better Place

  Hello class! This week we are writing about our world...a very engaging topic indeed. You can write about your past experiences and sh...